Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help making a big banner 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperlord

Technical User
Jun 18, 2002
US
Sorry for the double post - this is in the PS forum too...

Hi there - long time no talk!

Anyhow - I'm gonna design a banner for my magazine. I want to use PS b/c I can make something very cool. But am scared that b/c I'll need to render my text and images to apply filters to.. by the time it's blown up massively... the image will pixelate.

Can someone shed some light on this matter for me? I have AI, and I know I can create basic stuff in it and have it blown up to 229458% and still never lose resolution b/c they're vector-based.

Do I need to stick to AI - or is there a safe way to make the image in PS?

Thanks - nate

ps - the banner will be a big one - maybe 3 feet wide by 8 feet long. Knowledge enormous makes a God of me.

Generally, you want your images to be about twice the resolution of the line screen being used to print it. A t-shirt for instance usually uses a screen around 55 lines per inch. In this case you would need an image that's about 110 dpi. Hard as it is to believe, a higher resolution wouldnt print a better t-shirt. The standard resolution for magazine printing is 306.8 dpi but everyone uses 300 since most magazine line screens are 175 lpi. So to be safe, build your stuff at around 8.5 x 11 at 300 dpi in CMYK. For special prints like banners you may want to check with the printer first to see what kind of resolution they need before you struggle with a massive file. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back