Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help, job is finished, but shows as "executing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

takaoki

Programmer
Aug 28, 2008
ZA
Help. Does anyone know why a job would finish but still show as "executing" in the "Job Activity Monitor"?

The last step of the job is a "restore database" script I created. I see that the database has finished restoring as of 8:30 this morning, but it's now 11:30 and the job is still running (ostensibly)...

any ideas??

What step does it say that it is on?

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2008 Implementation and Maintenance / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Admin (SQL 2005/2008) / Database Dev (SQL 2005)

My Blog

The last step.

Everytime it gets to this step, the job just hangs, even though the restore is complete. It's a script that calls OSQL on another server... if that helps.

Thanks

Are you using the -Q or -q parameter?

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2008 Implementation and Maintenance / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Admin (SQL 2005/2008) / Database Dev (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Hi Mr Denny,

This is the command I am running from a .cmd file, which is the last step of the job that is hanging:

Code:
osql -S MyOtherServer -d MyDatabase -E -q "Restore_DB_procedure 'MyDBToRestore', 'MyDBRestored', 'D:\MyBackupFile.BAK', 'D:\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\'" -o D:\MyLogFile.log

-S MyOtherServer is ServerB, being called from a job on ServerA

Thanks!

Ok, I see in BOL that "-q" does not exit the query, which would explain why it hangs...

But "-Q" says that it will execute the query and exit immediately... so how will the job step "know" if osql completed successfully? I would like the job step to fail if for some reason the osql query (sp) fails. Is there a way to capture this information?

Thanks!

Try using the -b switch in the osql command line. From MS:

Specifies that osql exits and returns a DOS ERRORLEVEL value when an error occurs. The value returned to the DOS ERRORLEVEL variable is 1 when the SQL Server error message has a severity of 10 or greater; otherwise, the value returned is 0. Microsoft MS-DOS® batch files can test the value of DOS ERRORLEVEL and handle the error appropriately.

Then that step should show as a failure if it does fail.

HTH,

M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back