Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help I've lost the connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKS610

Technical User
Feb 16, 2001
AU
The PC & Laptop were 'seeing' each other this morning and communicating - they're connected by a blue cable and ethernet connection but I must have deleted something and now the PC says the drive or network connection that the shortcut refers to is unavailable. Is there somewhere I can download the missing drive? Or is there a network connection instruction that I need to give it? All asssistance greatly appreciated - I'm a total novice to this.

Thanks

Do you have any lights on the NIC cards either on the PC or the laptop? normally there is a green light if the cabling is correct. IF you do, then check the protocol under network neighborhood/properties( assuming 95/98) If you have IP, then make sure the IP number and subnet mask are still there. Under Microsoft, check to see if sharing is enabled.. if you are sharing drives, this needs to be checked.

Along the same lines, click on the hard drive with the dead link and look at the properties. you need to have sharing enabled on this also, you can tell quickly in *my computer* since the icon would have a "hand" cupping the icon which means it's shared.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back