Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP Installing USP CD-ROM from Dos for Win 98 Setup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings23

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
US
I have a Pen Tablet with an external Floppy that works fine and a USB 2.0 CD-ROM connected that I'm trying to use. Here are my steps:
FDisk and create new partition then format C:Boot with Win 98 boot disk w/out cd-rom support
A:\format C: /s/q to transfer system files
A:\Sys C: to make C:\ bootable
Reboot w/out boot disk and it boots to C:\ and I check Dir /A for IO.SYS, COMMAND.COM, BOOTLOG.TXT, MSDOS,SYS, & DRVSPACE.BIN
Go to A:\ and transfer MSCDEX.EXE, NJUSBCDA.SYS, & USBASPI.SYS to C:Reboot w/ boot disk w/out cd-rom support
go to C:Edit config.sys and add: device=usbaspi.sys & device=njusbcda.sys save and exit
Edit autoexec.bat and add: C:\mscedx /D:CD001 Save and exit
Reboot w/out boot disk and this is what I get:

ASPI for UHCI/OHCI USB mass storage version 1.07
copyright 2001 NOVAC C.
ID:0 LUN:0 = ATAPI CD-R/RW 40x12 3.AX

NinjaUSP ASPI CD-ROM Driver (ATAPI) Ver 3.09
Copyright WOrkbit Co

********** line of symbols ***********

C:\>C:\mscdex /D:cd001
Device driver not found: 'CD001'
Not Valid CDROM device drivers selected

Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong?

Kings

I'm not sure about this cos I never have USB CD-ROM, but I hope it works the same as IDE CD-ROM. So try this:

device=usbaspi.sys /D:CD001

If that doesn't work, try the other one
device=njusbcda.sys /D:CD001

Hope it works
Regards

-- AirCon --

I tried this and it just says bad command or file name. I tried it a bunch of different ways but not luck. Everything works great until that last stop with the CD-ROM driver. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Kings

Does that floppy boot with the CD supported? If so, see what it has for an entry.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

When I boot to floppy with w/ cd-rom supported I get:
OTI-91x ATAPI CD-ROM Device Driver
Device Name MSCD001
No Drives Found, Aborting Installation

AIC-6260/6360/6370 ASPI Manager

Then it shows:

The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive D:

Device Driver not found 'MSCD001'
No Valid CD-ROM device drivers selected

D:\has all the diagnostic tools when I load with the bood disk. The diagnositic tools don't loas with out the boot disk.

Still Searching

Kings

Not sure if I see a TYPO in your original posting at
"Edit autoexec.bat and add: C:\mscedx /D:CD001"

Should be C:\mscdex......

If this ISN'T just a typo of text in posting....I take only cash...:>)

You are missing a device driver name in config.sys.

device=xxxxx.sys /d:driver

and the driver needs to be the same as the driver called by mscdex in autoexec.bat

probable config
device=usbaspi.sys
device=njcdasys.sys /d:cd001

and autoexec.bat
mscdex /d:cd001

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

edfair,

That's what I was trying to show him :)

Regards

-- AirCon --

You were right. But since your info didn't take and there was further confusion I added the comments.

Not trying to steal your ideas.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Ah, I see :)

I never meant to said you were trying to steal the ideas when I saw your post. What I wanted to tell is that the suggestion I had given was not working.

But you are right then. I just looking from the posted, I made an assumption he knows what to do. But it's not an excused for me, I had to make it more clearer from the start.

My apology for the confusion I made
Regards

-- AirCon --

Check your BIOS setup for a USB support setting.......
Mine is located as a sub to "peripheral configuration",....where the audio settings and Com ports are.....It says

Legacy USB Support.......Disabled/Enabled..are the choices....

I would suspect Enable may be appropriate here

I just got thsi from the Langa newsletter, give it a try:
These actually work: Allows you to make a boot floppy which allows you to see USB 2.0 devices connected to your PC. Works great! Awesome for backups, rescues, etc.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

I finally got it. I don't know why I didn't understand AirCon's first reply. I was trying to apply that device driver to the autoexec.bat file???? I don't know why. I can now see D:\ and things are looking sweet. Thank you AirCon and edfair. You two were a great help. I owe you. Thanks

Kings

Both of you guys are right..I was stabbing at straws...
Even though I know this stuff a little..I didn't take the time to research it through...I guess I assumed your sugg's weren't working.....when actually they weren't taking.........
I learned on this thread....
So.....I"M going to have to give you Both a *STAR*
[shadeshappy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back