Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Installing MSI File - Any Log files??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc999

Technical User
Oct 20, 2003
GB
I am trying to install MSN Messenger using the software installation part of group policy. Well in fact, I am trying to install any MSI file using group policy as I cannot get any to install.

For example I have an MSI file that will install MSN Messnger in the windows GUI, although it does require a little user interaction. What can I do to get group policy to install this??

When I set up GP to install the MSI file, the computer will get to a bit where it says 'Applying software installation settings' but then it will just finish. The program has not installed. Why would this be?? Does GP effectively need an msi file that can be fully installed with a command line command and switch? Are there any log files anywhere?? - I cannot find any.

I have now tried to install MSN messenger, direct X and another microsoft product using their GP. I have not been able to get any to work. Does anybody know of an application that will easily install using GP so at least I could see if this thing is actually possible - ever!

Every software has it's issues. Not all is standard yet, even if M$ is trying hard to get their MSI packages as some sort of standard.

For Direct X and MSN Messenger, some people have successfull installed these applications. I don't want to go threw the detail here because they can be long, but I will refer you to the site that I use as references. They have many tips and hints on packages like Direct X for instance.

Check out the forums there as they are much more active there.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

What is the error in the Eventvwr? That will normally give you a very good indication of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back