Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help installing a Norstar Modular CIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

probietech

Technical User
Mar 27, 2009
US
I need a little bit of help understanding the Norstar CIS- I have a Nortel 61C, 81C, 11C's and BCM400 and now we have acquired several facilities with Norstar systems installed. We will also be installing a Norstar into a Physicians office and just need a little help understanding the setup.

I will be bringing in an ISDN PRI to the office with 25 DID's

Do the Norstar's connect with Music on Hold, Voicemail-
Connecting to Fast Rad?

I understand that there are issues with Norstar's and credit card machines, tele check machines and fax's??

Types of cards needs??

Anything would be greatly appreciated!!!

first, the cics does not support pri or any other digital trunking. the cics will only allow 8 copper lines and 16 digital sets, if expanded up to 24 digital sets.if you want caller id , go with the CI trunk cards, if not, the ds cards will work. voicemail connects to digital ports. you can connect the cc machine or fax to the analog port. this would be the yellow-slate pair on the CO block.MOH on violet-green pair

this is a huge help!! thank you very much!!

There are two types of Norstar systems, CICS or ICS.
The ICS supports 3 T1 circuits. Verify what system you have. They are good systems, reliable and easy to manage.

I have the Nortel Norstar Modular ICS 7.1 CICS/MICS

So it is a MICS. The cabinet can hold 2 T1 cards and you can expand it to three.
You can connect it to music, voicemail, anything you need.
If you have a spare port or an analog terminal adaptor you can easily hook up a credit card machine, but I always like to use dedicated lines for that, or at least share a fax line.
You need a T1 card with a PRI keycode for your T1, plus a clocking card-I highly recommend getting a six port expansion card with a built in clock controller. It gives you the clocking for the T1 and allows you to grow your system. You also may need a C1 line card for 4 backup lines.
The base unit also has the capacity for 32 extensions.

thank you so much! All the help we can get with this thing is greatly appreciated!!!

how many phone sets and how many T1's? Any analog lines?

we're looking at around 12-15 phone sets and probably maybe 5 POTS lines. We are installing a bonded T1 for data

First slot, T1 cand, 2nd slot, Line card (supports 4 lines)
6-port combo card, all your sets will fit and you will have plenty of capacity for voicemail and FastRad.

remember slot 1 is far right beside amphenol connectors. service cart in slot 3

If all you are going to use is 5 analog lines then you do not need a T1 card or a combo/service card just 2 ls/ds cards and if you want CLID then 2 analog CLID cards and the main unit takes 32 phones.

it looks like we will need 8 DID's and about 8 extensions- we will need POTS lines from my understanding for the credit care machine and the telecheck- I've been told that analog lines through the Norstar do not work well with these

Can a 2 port fiber card be swapped with a 6 port fiber combo card with out changing the programming. I have a spare 6 port combo card that i want to put into a MICS 7.0 that I am going to be putting a DTI card into and possibly adding a 8 port analog station module also. The combo card will do the clocking for the DTI card. Are there key codes needed to do this also.

No change in progamming from swapping out the cards. You will need a PRI feature activation key code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back