Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help in User Defined Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

kprit

Technical User
Sep 29, 2003
US
I am creating a function in VB Editor (in excel sheet). I call this function by typing =funName() in a cell.

This function is supposed to fetch data from database depending on passed parameters and display fetched data in the Sheet1.

To display data I write "Sheet1.Cells(rowno,1)=DBValue" in function funName() but when I call this function by typing =funName(a,b,c) in a cell, it does not display data in Sheet1 however it is fetching data from database. I tested this by putting recordset in an global array(instead of displaying in sheet1) and display this global array by making another procedure and called this procedure from Tools->Macro->Run.

I want to call the function from cell only [=funName(a,b,c)]

post the code and how you are calling the function (with actual values rather than a,b,c)

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]
Want the [red]best[/red] answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

We may need to see all the code for your function (I suggest a new message if so).

The return value of a function has to be the same name as the function, so somewhere in your code you will need
funname =

Regards
BrianB
Use CupOfCoffee to speed up all windows applications
================================

Code I am using is as follows
--- Function I call from sheet is =PopData("a","b")

Global conn as ADODB.Connection

Function PopData(a As String, b as string) As Boolean
PopData = False
Call ConnectToDB
Call FetchData(a,b)
PopData = True
End Function

Sub ConnectToDB
---
---
conn.open
End Sub

Sub FetchData(a as string,b as string)
if a = "SSS" then something
if b = "SSS" then something
recrodset = Conn.Execute SQL("SELECT......")
Dim rowno
rowno=1
while not recordset.eof
Sheet1.Cells(rowno,1) = RecordSet Fld1 Val
Sheet1.Cells(rowno,2) = RecordSet Fld2 Val
rowno = rowno + 1
recordset.movenext
Wend
End Sub

ok - you are calling Popdata and that is what will try to be returned but:
Function PopData(a As String, b as string) As Boolean
indicates that Popdata can only return a true or false

Also:
Sheet1.Cells(rowno,1) = RecordSet Fld1 Val
Sheet1.Cells(rowno,2) = RecordSet Fld2 Val

will not work from a UDF - functions / formulae in cells CANNOT affect any part of a worksheet other than the cell they are in - you cannot make a UDF write to other cells unless you call it from code

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]

ohhhh....

Anyway what I did is I put the recordset output in a global array and have created another procedure called showdata which displays arrays output in sheet1. After getting True from PopData I call showdata from Tools->Macro->showdata->run...

Thanks a lot Geoff.

I implemented (saved .xls file as .xla Add-In) above thing in .xla and put the .xla file in Excel's C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\XLStart so that I can get =popdata in every workbook.
And it worked perfectly I was able to call =popdata from aby workbook and it returned true but I can't see my showdata procedure in Tools->Macro hence the data which is available in a global array can't be printed in the sheet1.

kprit - sorry if I'm being thick but are yuo saying you have it working or is there a question buried in there somewhere ?? ;-)

Rgds, Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back