Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help in tape backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggy2151

MIS
Oct 22, 2002
SG
Hi:

I am totally new to using backup system
My company has recently acquired a backup system from Quantum DLT 7000.
I was wondering whether how should I be abled to know whether my backup system is working?
Should I see it as a physical drive in my computer or what?
Please advise.

Thanks

Go to the backup GUI and check if you can 'see' the device. If you are using something like ArcServe/BackupExec then when installing the software it should detect and install the backup device drivers alternatively you will need to install the backup device first before installing the backup software.

it depends on what backup software you use. we use arcserve. there is always a log where you can check if the backup was completed succesfully or not, and what the warnings were. by default you should check every few weeks if you are able to restore a random file, just to check that the backup ran ok, and that you are able to restore a file.

most packages also have the option to send you an e-mail when the job completes, and optional the job log can be attached. however this depends on what backup software you use and if there is an smtp or exchange server somewhere on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back