Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help in designing Domino R5 structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole

MIS
May 17, 2002
US
Being very new to Domino and Notes, I am having a problem choosing the best structure of my mail server.

I currently administer an old MS Exchange 5.0 for 4 different companies in the enterprise I am working for.

They all four have their own domain names, but they are sharing the network and the mail server, including its one IP address.

I suggested migrating the hole thing to Domino/Notes 5.0 and I was happy that it was granted. However, this has thrown me out in a hole new world.

If we as an example say that the four companies receive mails on the following domains right now:

<someone>@CompanyOne.com
<someone>@CompanyTwo.com
<someone>@CompanyThree.com
<someone>@CompanyFour.com

All these companies are under the enterprise company Enterprise, Inc.

What would be the best solution:

(1) One Domain

Create one Domino domain for Enterprise, Inc. and just specify each of the four companies for the right users.

(2) Multi Domains

Create one Domino domain for each company, and add the users under the right domains.

(3) ?

I appreciate your time and feedback on this.

Thanks,

Ole

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ole Drews Jensen
Systems Network Manager
CCNP, MCSE, MCP+I
RWR Enterprises, Inc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

you could create an organisation (O)certifier for Enterprise and use that to create an organisational unit (OU) certifier for each company. Each company could manage their own users withing the larger enterprise notes domain with their own certifier. But at the same time have all companies in the same addressbook.
Create a Localdomain document for all companies' domainnames so it'll accept incoming smtp mail for those domains.

if you want seperate domino domains you'd have to look into things like a partitioned server or multiple domino servers since a domino server can only be part of one domino domain, but it can do smtp mail for multiple internet domains. Personally I'd go for one domino domain.

Woonjas
IRC: #notes on EFNet

If not too many users (or if your company bigger than IBM :)) , just use one domain.
If too many ppl and you have just some crappy server, you
have to divide them into several domains.
And if your servers not always connected, you have to use
multi-domain. Power up your Notes/Domino if you know how to use it!

Q1: what is power?
Q2: what is up?
Q3: what is Notes/Domino? *&%$#@

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back