Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Importing vendor invoices into Peachtree from SQL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klgrube

Programmer
May 29, 2002
US
Hi!

I need a little guidance. Each week we receive an invoice in a text file from UPS via an email link. Our AP Clerk has to click on the email link and download the file. Then, she clicks on a little program I created that imports the UPS flat file data into SQL and prints a report I created that emulates the UPS invoice. From that printout, she uses Peachtree’s “Purchases/Receive Inventory’ menu item to key the invoice into Peachtree.

My idea is that I should be able to do this for her automatically when she clicks on the ‘Import UPS file’ button on her desktop (the one I provided to import the UPS flat file into SQL). She should be able to go into Peachtree and look at the voucher that was automatically created without having to key in anything.

I’ve already uploaded the Peachtree Vendor information into SQL using DataManager for Peachtree from Classic Software. And I’m also importing the text file from UPS into SQL using DTS. So, I believe I have all the pieces I need to export a record from SQL into Peachtree. That is, I have the Vendor address, account numbers, etc. that are required on the voucher.

The Peachtree documentation gives a good description of each of the fields that need to be part of a Purchase Journal CSV that you’re going to import using their ‘file import’ utility. I know I can export a CSV from the data I have in SQL that meets these requirements. But, I’d rather go directly from a SQL view into Peachtree and not make her have to import the data from a CSV through Peachtree.

Basically, all I want to do is automate the import of the voucher. DataManager can import data directly from SQL into Peachtree. The problem is that I don’t know which tables are modified either when you create a Voucher directly within Peachtree or import a Peachtree Purchase Journal record from a CSV.

I've checked out a product from Pawcom/Multiware, but it's ridiculously expensive and does waaayyy more than what I need. All I need to do is import an invoice from a vendor into a peachtree voucher / purchase journal item. I can control the format and content of the data being imported. I just don't know what tables need to be updated, and I can't find any kind of Peachtree technical reference that says, for example, 'this set of records gets created when you enter a Purchase item' or 'this is what happens to each table when you import a purchase journal CSV."

Perhaps someone knows of a VB.Net or ASP.Net control - preferably free - that will do this from within a VB.net or ASP.Net app. Or perhaps someone has done this before and wouldn’t mind providing just a little guidance. I think all I may really need to know is what records get created or modified in what tables within Peachtree.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Karen Grube
klgrube@yahoo.com

The Pawcomm product is really very inexpensive for the amount of research it saves. Free stuff is usually worth what you paid for it.

That said the issues it that Peachtree keeps most of it's data in single files with a group of codes indicating what the transaction type is. Peachtree tech support usually doesn't have a clue about this. I first found it out through pawcome.

Bill Couture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back