Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help imported data with ID field keeps re-ordering

Status
Not open for further replies.

tizwaz

Technical User
Aug 8, 2002
GB
I have data which was exported from a Filemaker Pro database and the table in question has an ID field. The ID relates to an incident number and needs to stay the same in my new Access database. I tried sorting it ascending and then adding a new ID field as an auto number but it through the records all out of order (well some of them). So I took that field off and tried to stick with the original number field for the ID but now even that is going out of order in the form. Only way I can keep incident 1 as the 1st record is to base my form on a query. Is there another way - I would prefer an auto number field going forward but can't get that to work and don't know why

Hi,

Relational tables have no order. Order By in your query.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

I have not tried it, but this should work. Create a new table in access with the same field names. The ID field could be an autonumber. Build an insert query sorted in the correct order you want to fill all the other fields. Run the insert query and the records should insert in the correct order.

I think the first method you tried should work, but you need to index the table on the old ID field and probably not have any other indices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back