Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! I'm a student with a cd-rom problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

efrain

Programmer
May 17, 1999
US
I am working on an HP Pavillion PC that won't read the cd-rom drive.  The drive letter (D:) shows up in Windows Explorer, but when I click on it to access it it pops up a message that the drive cannot be accessed.  In DOS I get a not reading drive d: abort,retry,fail message.  I've tried removing the driver and having windows use PnP to set it up for me and that didn't work.  I opened up config.sys to see where the driver was supposed to be and the path is correct.  Any ideas?  Could it be the physical drive and not a software related issue?  The eject button works just fine so I know it's getting power.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check the ide cable is correctly attached to the CD Rom and to the motherboard. Is it working as a Slave (ie on the same cable as the master hard drive ) check the jumpering on the CD rom drive is set to slave or master if on its own ide cable plugged into the second ide port  . Bios settings - if you can get into the bios check what the IDE drive is setup for (Secondary master = Auto ) or (primary Slave = Auto)

I just thought of something else ! check the other devices in windows to see if there is an extra cd rom drive setup

does it show up in the device manager?  If so remove it and follow bdux instructions for the bios.

Tried all that, did not work.  A little more info - I'm working with a 32x LG Goldstar cd-rom.  The ide cable is secure, I even tried a new one I had lying around.  The bios is setup properly, checked for ghost drivers.  It's setup for secondary master, jumpering on the drive is set to Auto.  Any more suggestions?

Do you have another computer to try it out on? I had similar problems with a cd-rom at work. It would be recognized at boot, but when in windows it would not read cd's. I tried it out on a few different machines and it did the same thing.<br><br>Conclusion, if the cd-rom does not work on other machines, then it is defective. If it does then the culprit is your machine. either way this will tell you where the problem lies and from there you should be able to make a decision as where to proceed further.<br><br> <p> fenris<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> I am interested in Mining Software, as well as Genetic Algorithms.

If the drive shows in My Computer and fails upon access, 99% of the time the problem is either the actual CD itself (try another one to make sure) or the drive. If it were jumper or cable related it PROBABLY would not show up at all.

One last thing...&nbsp;&nbsp;The cd-rom drive shows up as a Goldstar CRD-8320B drive.&nbsp;&nbsp;When I pulled the drive out, the manufacturer is LG electronics.&nbsp;&nbsp;What's odd is that the driver for the cd-rom is from Oak Technologies.&nbsp;&nbsp;(I know their somehow related to LG/Goldstar).&nbsp;&nbsp;However, when I was searching for the drivers for the cd-rom I got drivers from LG/Goldstar not Oak Technologies.&nbsp;&nbsp;Is it possible that I need to switch over.&nbsp;&nbsp;I know the ide cable is working because when I right click on the drive and select eject, the tray opens.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've tried different audio/data cd's and have eliminated that possibility.&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there any other way to test and see if the drive is the problem without pulling it out and installing it in another system?&nbsp;&nbsp;Does anyone know of any specific problems with the Goldstar 32x CRD-8320B drive?&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm working with an HP Pavillion 6343 model?&nbsp;&nbsp;Anyone else have problems with this drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back