Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Identifying Phone Block 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

candulj

Technical User
Sep 3, 2014
US
Hey Guys,
Need help from more experienced techs on identifying the pictures of this phone block and what to do with it. This phone block is located inside a 30 year old apartment building with a total of 17 units. A buddy of mine who's an electrician sucked me into this one. I gave him a good piece of my mind for doing this. I need your help identifying the block and suggestion on how to recable this block. Apparently the rats chewed through the units phone lines and the electrician ran new CAT6 cable to each unit. He first called Verizon to come out and cross connect everything to the new cabling but the Verizon techs won't touch it. "I can't say that I don't blame them". Then he calls me and wants me to completely remove and replace this old phone block with a new cross connect or something appropriate. I've done my fair share of 66 blocks but this one has me concerned because there is a ground wire bonded to the backboard of this block and I believe 66 blocks are not the correct solution for the proper type of replacement equipment. I need to detach the entire phone trunk and punch it down on either new blocks or something similar as well as rerun the new CAT6 and properly route and reconnect everything properly on a new fireproof backboard. 2 reasons I'm concerned for proper grounding. This is Florida and lightening is my primary concern the other is ensure the circuits are grounded properly. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.Joe
1F3TSkN.jpg

bdZOAoO.jpg

tJrIqMd.jpg

GjxMUYm.jpg

Thank you,
Joe

If this is the telco demarc, and it appears to be, I don’t think you can touch it. It is a protection block, the cable comes in the left side and is protected by the arrestors (look like nuts on the board) which sends surges to the ground.

I would set two new 66 blocks to the side of the demark to land all the cables from the units, and then cross connect each circuit one by one. If you do it one at a time, outages will be minimized and it won’t be as confusing.

After the cross connect. I would build a tight fitting cover for the demarc bloc and cover it up.

Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I initially told him. The owner's insistent on moving the trunk and Verizon tech won't touch it! Is there a block out there with the proper bonding ground that I can obtain to fix this mess? I have to move it. Thanks. Joe

Thank you,
Joe

I would put a couple of split 50 66 blocks on the right side of this, remove the cables one at a time, then with single pair cross connect, re-connect to the demark. Just be mindful and mark where the connection was so you know where to cross connect to.

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

Sorry. I almost forgot. You will need bridging clips so you can isolate the line for testing. Cross connect to the left side of the blocks, terminate station cables on the right.

Thanks again for your feedback jrgood0852, robertjo24. I had initially informed the owner of you option. Owner was keen on completely removing this entire demarcation board and replace it with another demarcation board or something similar. Then I informed the owner that an outage of 5-6 hours would definitely occur during the cut-over. Owner's okay with informing what the few occupants they have which is only about 6 occupants now (it's a vacation rental condo) and season has not kicked in yet. I've planned to tone out, ID and tag all trunk then move them over to split 50 66 blocks. Also plan to contact the DeHart for the cutover for the fire alarm and elevator phone. My concern is missing the proper grounding as a major factor. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Joe

You Rock jrgood0852! Thanks for all you do. Joe

Thank you,
Joe

Wait - you intend to replace this telephone company owned protector? You can't legally do that. All you can do is clean up the mess of I/W's terminated to it, as has been outlined above. But as far as chopping off the underground cable and installing a new building entrance terminal, that's completely forbidden.

No, TTT. He is not replacing, just cleaning up.

Thanks touchtone, from all of the feedback, I should have listened to my initial instincts and been firm with sparkie. I'm in agreement, I'm going to tell sparkie that this is completely off limits and I can only rewire his current cat6 to split 50 M-66 block but that's it. Thanks. Joe

Thank you,
Joe

That's correct TTT, disconnect the truck and reterminate everything to a clean board with proper bonding and sure equipment. Can I still do that?? This is a fine line and I'm not jeopordizing my LV license and fines if this is the case. Please let me know guys. Joe

Thank you,
Joe

Sorry meant proper surge equipment.

Thank you,
Joe

Legally, you cannot make any changes to the demarc block. If the building owner needs the block relocated, he needs to initiate an order with the local telco. They might move it within the same building/room, but there will be costs associated.
The building owner would be responsible for the clan-up past the demarc.

If you (or the building owner) takes on relocating and/or modifying or replacing this block without specific authorization from the telco, you could be exposed to a huge liability.

There's nothing wrong with leaving the demark exactly where it is, mounting a couple of 66 blocks next to it, relocating the data cables to the 66 blocks, cross connecting back to the demark pairs. This is the right of the owner/landlord of the premises.

Sparkie must like to gamble. I'm not willing to take that gamble. I work real hard from my money. Thanks. Joe

Thank you,
Joe

He first called Verizon to come out and cross connect everything to the new cabling but the Verizon techs won't touch it. "I can't say that I don't blame them"

Yup, Verizon will only locate and tag the dial tones, they won't terminate the customer's wiring to the terminal that they tag.

Then he calls me and wants me to completely remove and replace this old phone block with a new cross connect or something appropriate.

I take this to mean that sparky doesn't like the verizon protector itself, and wants to replace it with something a little more "modern". This is the part that only Verizon can do, for a T&M charge.

There's nothing wrong with leaving the demark exactly where it is, mounting a couple of 66 blocks next to it, relocating the data cables to the 66 blocks, cross connecting back to the demark pairs. This is the right of the owner/landlord of the premises.

And this is the correct answer, very clearly stated.

LOL, vt! This is why high voltage should stick with high voltage and leave the low stuff for us.[hammer]

I don't know if the question was asked over at Sundance, but why did the electrician run CAT 6 cable for POTs lines? That seems like overkill. CAT 6 cable terminated to 66 blocks would be hard pressed to certify. CAT 3 cable would have made more sense.

I think that the equipment predates Verizon, so I'll agree that Ma Bell should have mounted 66 blocks next to the cabinet, extended from the protector to one side of the blocks, punched down, bridge clipped and tagged. From there the home runs to the units could be punched down on other 66 blocks and cross connects run.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back