Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help identifying modules on a 3640 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bongonetworker

Technical User
Jan 18, 2009
NL
Hallo everyone,
I've been lurking on this forum all the while trying to build my CCNA rig. Today I came across this 3640 router auction but could not really identify the modules on the picture. Can someone please have a look at the below picture and advice if those modules are useful for CCNA?

Thanks.

bongonetworker,

Most all of these would be good for CCNA study!!

In the top row the first item with 4 ports is a NM-4A/S - The 4?port (NM?4A/S) and 8?port (NM?8A/S) asynchronous/synchronous (async/sync) network modules
provide async connectivity with speeds up to 115.2 kbps, and sync connectivity with speeds up to 128 kbps.
These modules use the 60?pin "5?in?1" cables, similar to those used on the Cisco 2500 and Cisco 7000 series
routers. These are good for CCNA because it allows you to have 4 serial connections to other routers in your lab, this can ne used to let the 3640 act as a Frame Relay Switch.

The other Network Module on the top row looks to be a NM?16A ? Sixteen Port Async Network Module The NM?16A and NM?32A modules are often used to provide out of band connectivity to the console ports of other devices. To configure the router as a comm server refer to the following documents:
· Configuring a Terminal/Comm Server for Router Console Access
· Configuring a Comm/Terminal Server for Sun Console Access

You can search this info at Cisco.com, you will need the Octal cables that attach to this NM.

The Network Module on the bottom with 8 ports - not sure what this is but you could go to the Network Module section at Ebay and just look at pictures till you find one!!!

The other on the bottom is a NM-1E2W and it gives you an Ethernet port and 2 WIC slots for LAN/WAN interface card (WIC) Network Modules to expand the capabilities of the Cisco 2600 and 3600 Series Routers, by providing slots for additional WICs.

Hope this helps

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Like Gene said those are all very useful for a lab setup. You can use the NM-16A in a 26xx series or 3640 router and use that as your access server so that you don't have to keep plugging/unplugging into the various consoles of your equipment. The NM-8A/S and the NM-4A/S can go into a 3640 that you want to make your Frame-Relay Switch! The NM-1E2W is the least expensive way to add a WIC slot to the 3640 so you can buy a WIC-1T to add serial to yet another router.. Hope this helps!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Thank you guys for your advice! I am now a proud owner of the above 3640 router. The description of the auction said that this router comes with an octal cable but to my suprice it is a D68M to 8 x DB25 72-0990-01 cable instead of the one that terminates with 8 x RJ-45. It's obvious that this cable can't be used for terminal access. My question is: what can it be used for?
Here is a picture I found on ebay.

bongonetworker.

bongonetworker,

Cisco access servers do a lot more then just reverse telnet into the console ports of routers and switches, that is just what we use them for in labs!!

I would say that you need to look what has DB25 connectors on them and that might give you an idea of how that cable is used!!

Access Server Services
The access server connects terminals, printers, modems, microcomputers, and remote LANs over asynchronous serial lines to an internetwork. The access server uses a set of connection services to allow remote networks access to an internetwork of LANs and WANs.

The access server supports four types of server operation:

•Remote node services
•Terminal services
•Asynchronous routing services
•Protocol translation services

Or you can just go to Anthony Panda and get an octal cable you can use for reverse telnet, so you can access the console ports of your whole lab from 1 router.

Or just sell the module on Ebay and recoop some of what you paid if you are not going to use it.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

All I can say is glad I did not put the NM-16 module for sale!!! I got an octal cable a put this thing up on a 2610 router. Wow!!! What a difference now it's like I am flying through my labs...lol. My lab expanded to like 10 devices and sure it was a pain changing console cables. So thanks guys.

I'm curious what that other network module is. Almost looks like it could be FXO/FXS interfaces. Will be interesting to see a show version from it.

sh diag, sh inven would be better. Or just look at the top left corner. Or, just trust me when I tell you that it is an NM-8B-S/T

ISDN ports in Cisco routers are always red!

/

Not sure which one you mean, but one of them looks to me like a NM-1E.

[the other] Bill

Burt, didn't see that you already ID'ed the NM. I have one similar to that in a 4 + 4 over/under configuration.

[the other] Bill

But that was the day I didn't have anything to drink. At least that was the time during that day that I didn't have anything to drink. (lol)

[the other] Bill

And I STILL get no star...:(:(:(

"You make me sad...come, Patsy!"

/

Poor thing. There, does that feel better... (LOL)

[the other] Bill

Damn right...you're 0 for 3 on the Monty Python references, BTW...

/

I quickly glanced at the author-of-this-thread's handle name, and thought it said "bongwater"...

/

I saw it on Broadway, but I'm not really a student.

I kinda read the same thing. What's a bong? (lol)

[the other] Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back