Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help!! I need to write a query whi

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantona

Technical User
May 20, 2001
GB
Help!!
I need to write a query which will give me 'Age as at 31/08/2002'
I have the date of birth field, but im not sure how to write a query that will work out age as of the 31st August 2002.

Can anyone help?

SELECT DISTINCT Datediff('y', #31/08/2002#, myTable.Date_Of_Birth) AS AGE_AS_AT, ...

P.S I might have the dates to compare around the wrong way. It's been some time.

If this is helpful, please please mark this as helpful.

Hi, thanks for your suggestion, however it doesnt seem to work. This is what i have tried;

SELECT DISTINCT DateDiff('Y',[Pupil]![DOB],#8/31/2002#) AS Age_at, Pupil.Surname, forenames, Pupil.DOB
FROM Pupil;

For example, a person with DOB of 15/01/2000 returns 959?

If i swith the dob and #8/31/2002# around, it returns -959?

Any suggestions?

You can make your own function, and then use that in your query. Save the function in a Module. Here is an example:

Public Function FindYears_onDate(DOB As Date, On_Date As Date) As Long

Select Case Month(DOB)

' If the month of DOB is before the given month
Case Is < Month(On_Date)
FindYears_onDate = DateDiff(&quot;YYYY&quot;, DOB, On_Date)

' If the month of DOB is the given month, then check for the actual day of the month
' If the day is on OR before the given day of the month, then get the actual year difference
' If the day is after the given day of the month, then it's not a full year extra, so subtract 1 year
Case Is = Month(On_Date)
If Day(DOB) <= Day(On_Date) Then
FindYears_onDate = DateDiff(&quot;YYYY&quot;, DOB, On_Date)
Else
FindYears_onDate = DateDiff(&quot;YYYY&quot;, DOB, On_Date) - 1
End If

' If the month of DOB is after the given month, then it's not a full year extra, so subtract 1 year
Case Is > Month(On_Date)
FindYears_onDate = DateDiff(&quot;YYYY&quot;, DOB, On_Date) - 1

Case Else
' If less than 1 complete year
FindYears_onDate = 0

End Select

End Function

Your query would look like this:

SELECT DISTINCT FindYears_onDate([Pupil]![DOB], #8/31/2002#) AS ...

The function uses two parameters. The first is the DOB from the table, and the second (#8/31/2002#) can be manually entered in the SQL, or retrieved from a table. Remember to surround the date with #, since they are dates.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back