Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help i have a problem 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fragman33

Technical User
Jun 6, 2004
GB
hi im new to this forum, i have a slight problem, ever since i got my new cpu (barton2800+) and graphics card (sapphire9600xt) ive been gettin freezes and lock ups, it does it every few days on windows and i get it on games sometimes as well, i wos wondering to myself if it could be a power issue but my power supply is 350watt, i have 4 case fans and a srip light, my brother has the same case and power supply and he said to me he wos gettin freezes and he dissconnected the srip light and 1 fan and he hasent had it since, i tried this on mine and it dosent seem so bad but im still gettin freezes, i have 768mbs of ddr(3200)ram and an asus a7v8x-x mainboard, i have all the latest drivers to everything.

Try forcing the RAM to run in sync with the cpu at 333MHz (actually a 166MHz clock, that's what the BIOS will read). Also try running with slower memory timing settings for a while and see if that helps any.

I would replace the power supply as that is where the problems you are having point.

describe the lock ups...i have the same problem with lockups when i play and stuff....my lockups are usually when i play a game...the screen turns black for a sec then turns back to the last thing i saw but i cant do anything becuase its frozen. I get it more and more now...even when im in IE or desktop

the lockups and freezes dont happen all the time, its weird,i go on a game and it freezes after about 10 mins, then i go on the same game again and its ok for alot longer and windows frezes sometimes, its ever since i got my new graphics card and cpu, ive tried setting the mem to (333) and it locked up the instant i played a game, im thinking it could be a mem prolem or power supply problem, as i have a 350 watt psu it should be ok on wot ive got but i'll try taking one stick of mem out and see if that works and visa versa, but if not i'll replace the power supply.

What temperatures are you running? Intermit6tant lockups are usaully signs of a heat problem.

Yes, check to see if it is a heat problem.

If you are playing graphic intensive games for a long period of time without proper cooling then you can run into system lockup problems.

You probably need a better heat sink.

my temps are fine, cpu is (40celius) at the mo, and its a hot day, and my heatsink is a thermaltake silent boost with copper sink, im thinking it could be a power supply problem, as it never did it before i had my new cpu and gc, as i say the lockups dont happen all the time, its say once every week while im on windows and say once a day or less if i play a game, allso something i dident mention before, my hard drive sometimes seems to shut down and start back up, this only happens about once a week or something, i can remember it doing it more often when i had all the fans and strip light in, but i went into the case once and moved the wires to see if anything happend and it seemed to me as i might have a break in the wire somewhere, as when i did it it shut down the hard drive then it started back up, now its fine but it must be the power supply as i dont have a temp problem, im gonna replace the power supply and let u know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back