Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help!!! I can't remove IIS4 to reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrison78

Technical User
Aug 6, 2002
GB
I am running Win2000 and installed IIS4 to test some PHP I am learning. It was working fine and the PHP pages were be served to the webbrower correctly.

But then the PC crashed on reboot it took ages for the desktop icons to appear and now the server isn't working at all.

I am assuming that the IIS installation has become corupt and needs to be reinstalled.

I have tried going to add/remove programs and unticking the IIS component and clicking next but it won't uninstall it.

How therefore can I get rid of the component so I can reinstall.

Thanks for any help,

Harrison.

How did you install IIS 4?? Is this Win 2K pro or Server??
Win2K pro and server come with IIS 5. Did you try to install IIS 5 yet? PHP should run on IIS 5 well.

Try to install IIS 5 and see if it corrects your problems.

I thought the version with Win2000 was 4. I am using Pro.

I managed to uninstall IIS from safemode and then rebooted into win2000 fine.

I then reinstalled using add windows components from the control panel add/remove programs.

This installed fine and so I rebooted to test it and it does exactly the same thing. It appears to be running from the active processes in task manager but doesn't work and I can't access Internet Services Manager or Personal Web Manager. And on quitting windows a save window comes up for MMC and asks if I would like to save a file.

When I uninstalled IIS, are there other files left in the HD that just get used again when I reinstall. And if so what are they and how do I delete them?

Thanks for the help. This is really bugging me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back