Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP: How to decode AI’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterK04

MIS
Dec 2, 2004
CA
Example: (01)90051701007193(3202)001454(15)040525(21)407100100064

When barcode data string is passed to an application, how will the application know the length of the AI?

The AI’s can be 2-4 characters long. In above example we can see the third AI=15 because it’s enclosed in (). But the () are not passed in the string when barcode is scanned. So, how will the computer application know that the third AI=15 and not 150 or 1504? Please explain.

Thank you.

so you have a barcode that is that long?
thats about 50 characters?
Or are you building this string as you scan different barcodes together?
if they are separate you need to add somethign to the end of each.

unless you have some criteria then its not possible.
either the number of characters into the string
or some character in the string such as parenthesis

What else do you know before you read this?

anything?

DougP, MCP, A+

This is just an example of one barcode from one scan. No, this string would not be build from many scans.

There would be symbology identifier and FCN1 character at the end of variable length data.

I’m trying to determine on how to pull out the information from the scanned barcode strings for further processing. Maybe I'm approaching this all wrong and I should just have BarcodeTable with all possible barcode strings? Then I can just compare the entire string to entries in the table without the need for parsing it because each row would be unique.

That would be one way
but most people have each item in its own barcode
just like a database
see this label standard for example AIAG-B10

that way if you only need one thing just scan one thing you could do without having to parse a string.

you would not key in a customer like this
SmithJohn123456thAveSETampaFL33456
into one field of a database.

Scanning several barcodes is not a painfull as it seems.
it can be done in 2-3 seconds

DougP, MCP, A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back