Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! How to connect two routers, 2514, 2524 to a existing dsl connect 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vyzguy1

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2002
US
Hi, I have a 2524, and a 2514 cisco router. I have dsl and i would like to hook my laptop to it to have internet access. What configurations would I make if my ip address is 216.27.14x.xxx.? I would first like to just hook up the 2514 to get started with the internet access. thankx

Dont listen to him.. he knows not what he sayth ;)

The 2514 will work just fine.. E0 goes to the DSL modem or cable modem.. assuming that you have the normal DSL to RJ45 modem. You need to put (should ?) put NAT on the router.. global overload to share the 1 ip you got from the ISP. You might need DHCP on the E0 port or might not.. if you do then you need a very new version of IOS code in order for it to work as a client. E1 can be the LAN side..

--DSL---modem---E0/2514/E1---Hub---Lan--

There are many threads here about this very subject. Someday one of us will have nothing else to do and write up a FAQ on it..

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

V- your address bounced- send me another with the proper email.

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

Are you sure about that? Yea you can pass the ppp session through the router but it's my guess that he wants to terminate it there and have other hosts share it.

Cisco's product capability matrix shows only the 800 series as being able to be PPPoE client. The 1700, 2600 & 3600 series can do PPPoATM w/ the WIC-ADSL.

Although if the xDSL provider isn't doing PPPoE then sure, just about anything with an ethernet port will work.

-Jeff ----------------------------------------
Wassabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

Some more digging shows that after 12.2(2)T PPPoE is available on:

Cisco SOHO 70 series
Cisco 820
Cisco 827
Cisco 1600
Cisco 1700
Cisco 2600 series
Cisco 3600 series
Cisco 7200 series

reference