Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help help help with terminal speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yian

Technical User
Feb 3, 2002
CY
I use a number of modems (leased line not dial up) to control equipment through windows terminal.My problem is that even i configure the modems with the same settings , to communicate with modems using win terminal i have to set terminal speed for some modems 9600b/s and for some other modems 19200.I want your help to explain to me what parameter controls terminal speed connection.
Thank you very much.

If I understand your post correctly, you are using HyperTerminal to configure equipment/modems.

If your leased line modems are synchronous, then running async data through them at 9600 bps when the modem's DCE interface is set to either 9600 bps or 19200 bps should not be a problem.

If your leased-line modems are asynchronous, then the HyperTerminal speed and the modem's DCE interface must match.

If you are simply attempting to configure the modems, and they are from different manufacturers, it could just be that their default configurations are different.

Do these modems have Console ports that you are using to configure them, and separate DCE interfaces, or are you programming them through the DCE interface? If so, what manufacturer/models are you working with?

pansophic

Thank you very much for your response.I use the
following modems:
8840R Telebit octocom rack mounted cards as master

External s/a modems Octocom models:8396A,8396R,8424A as
slave modems

They have a console port but iam programming the through
DCE interface.
Note then i connect them through data switch to a terminal
monitor and it will be better for me if all have the same settings so that to need only to move data switch and not every time to change serial port settings.

Also explain to me how to find out if my leased line modems are synchronous or not.Can i set synchronous or asynchronous mode.I have a command: AT&M0=Asynchronous Mode
Thank you again.

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back