Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! Having WIN 98 SE Driver Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trev34

Technical User
Nov 20, 2014
US
Hello all,

I've recently been asked by a customer to set him up 5 systems with WIN 98 SE.
I found the systems (SAMBA w/ Pentium 4 processors) from the early 2000's.

WIN 98 downloads on to the systems just fine, but the real issue came up when the hardware wizard was unable to locate most of the PCI Drivers.
Also, the systems came with SAMBA drivers on a CD-ROM. BUT once I get win 98 se downloaded and running on the system the Disc drive does not even show up under my computer. The hard drive and floppy drive only showed up. SO then I had to go to Microsoft and figure out how to use real mode CD-ROM drivers from windows 98 start up disc. Link Once I performed these commands in dos the disk drive finally showed up.

Even then, Win 98 was still unable to find the drivers even though they are clearly right there on the Driver Disc that came with the Samba's. I am sorry if I am not explaining this well but I do not know how else to put it. This issue is driving me insane. Feel free to ask me questions that may help you help me, thank you to anyone who helps me tackle this issue.

PS. Most the drivers that are unable to be found revolve around PCI hardware.

Thank you all,

Trevor Mitchell

Manufacturer and model of the computer, or model number of the system board would help us understand what hardware we are dealing with, also, what cards are in the pci slots? Video? sound? network? How are you trying to load the drivers? what steps you are taking and the results, no sense telling you one way to load the drivers, if you have tried that and it doesn't work, but what are the results, error codes, refuses to acknowledge the driver name, whatever. Also, what happens if you copy the drivers into a driver folder onto the hdd, and then try to install from there?

Why should Win98 "download" at all?

Are you pirating Windows 98, or trying to say that it installed?

Ran thru some of the same issues several years ago. P2s and P3s were fine, the P4s invariably crashed. Customer ended up with P2s.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back