Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP, HARD DRIVE NOISE

Status
Not open for further replies.

clkio

Technical User
Dec 23, 2004
CA
hello people. I just got a New Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Serial ATA hard drive. this hard drive is suppose to be the quitest hard drive on the market. But I can hear noises when the hard drive is being accessed. When i run the seatools to check the hard drive, it says its fine, but the file system has a critical error. Any ideas?

What kind of noise? Grinding (bad bearings), ratcheting (normal "head reading" sound, loud "click-click-click" of head "seeking" a bad track (noted "file system error"), or vibration sound (from hard drive touching the case)?

The 7200.7 is hardly the quietest on the market. I have 4 drives in my system and the 2 x 200gig 'cudas are the loudest. The others are both WD Caviar, the 80gig being the quietest and 120 in between.

The seek noise is there, not a crank sound but noticable. I cannot hear the drive spinning (no whirring). It's not the quietest, but still not the loudest on the market.

Suggestion - check out
for some subjective and objective reviews from some users who are obsessed with noise levels.

If you're looking for quiet, SPCR is a great place to hang out.

thx for the reply guys.
micker377, the noises I hear are ratcheting (normal "head reading" sound, loud "click-click-click" of head "seeking" a bad track (noted "file system error"), vibration sound (from hard drive touching the case). All those sounds. Also, the reading and writing from hard drive, is loud. it sounds like an old used hard drive. The company suggested I return the hard drive and get another one.

Miker377 said; "What kind of noise? Grinding (bad bearings), ratcheting (normal "head reading" sound, loud "click-click-click" of head "seeking" a bad track "

Mojoman; This is kind of sound one of my hard drives is making. It just started after I did a clean OS install and update of other software. It is getting old but had never made any of these sounds before formatting and installing new software. ?
TIA; Mojoman

Since you have a "file system error" (should re-install anyway), you might as well return it. If not, two years down the road when something else pops up, you'll say "Gee, I should have returned it"! This time when you install it, make sure the drive only touches the case at mounting points.

you are right Miker377, I returned the hard drive to them and told them to send me another one, if it makes the same sounds again, then maybe the sounds are normal, but why was I getting "file system error" and it was critical error too.

Are you doing a clean install? What OS? If XP, memory is critical. Could be a bad install disk (dirty or scratched).

Miker377, it was a fresh install of windows xp pro, i have 1gb of memory (ddr 2700), and the install is not bad, i checked

I'm just worried aboutr the "system files" error. Could be from a disk error on install, or from a bad block on the hard drive.

micker377, what do you think can be wrong with the installation, i mean i checked if the cables are in tight, and they were fine, and nothing with under or on top of the hard drive. The cables were connected fine to the board too, also right now i am running my old maxtor hard drive. When i run the test its giving me a "file system" critical error. Now i am really lost.

Is the "old" drive SATA also? Is the OS (on the old drive) installed from the same source? Or did you clone?

its installed from the same source. the old one is not sata, just ata. This crap is driving me crazy

Again, what OS? What "test" is giving a "system files error"? If two drives are giving the same error, it would seem to be a bad test or a bad source.

windows xp pro. the seagate seatool test. the one from dos and the online test give the same error. but maybe you are right, I guess the windows xp pro sp2 built in has something worng. I got thi from mIRC. its windows xp corp. sp2 integrated.

I've read many problems from downloaded installs, never heard of one from the upgrade CD. I hear they're available from electronics stores for free (I got mine from MS when they were first released).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back