Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!!!!H:\ not accessible I\O err possible hard and software conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

notchris

Technical User
Sep 23, 2007
US
Hello everyone,

I have a win2k pent2 comp. I want to install win2k to my new NTFS 40 GB Hard Drive. I have installed windows too many times to count never have had this problem before. After all four startup disks for win2k I repeatedly get a message saying basically the CD you have inserted is invalid or corrupt. The CD is fine and is the correct disk, yet I continue to get the message. In addition I currently have a second drive with my original win2k on it and I've had numerous issues with it because I never had security setup and other people who use it our idiots that always click "YES", "OK", and "I ACCEPT" etc. Anyway while running my current damaged configuration version of win2k I get this message from the CD-ROM drive… H:\ in not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. It worked fine but one day started doing this and won’t stop. Having advanced knowledge of computers I have tried a numerous different trouble shooting methods but I’m looking from the beginning to the end of trouble shooting for several issues. I believe this error could be both hardware and software related. Please start with any hardware testing methods to rule one out. The software related opinion comes from the actions of the CD-ROM drive when I start my computer bios sees it on auto-detection during start-up so I can see for sure it loads every time since this error occurred I changed this. While windows loads the little light blinks repeatedly until I eject the disk and the second I close the drawer it begins to do it again. I made it stop one day by opening a few programs HP provided with the Drive and I soon discovered they had been taken out of the start-up procedure. The programs were DIRECTCD.EXE and hpcdtray.exe and are now running in the processes menu but the device continues to fail. I’ve updated the driver and looked into few things but all methods I know have failed. If I were to completely uninstall the device how would you advise doing it? Also once I get the drive working maybe I can fix windows. During start-up after login windows tells me there are unrecognized files in place and asks for it’s CD and since my Rom drive doesn’t work anymore it does this. It used to use the CD every time to fix its problem. Any way to fix the problem permanently with or without a CD-ROM Drive

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Notchris

Sounds like memory going bad.

Have only one stick of ram in there at a time and test it with this.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Sounds more like a faulty CD-ROM drive to me. Change the drive & see what happens.

Have you looked into Device Manager to see if there are any conflicts there? You might try removing the drive (or just pull the cables out from the back), shut down & restart. Plug cables back in & reboot. Let Windows Hardware Wizard find your 'new' drive or, if you still have the installation disc for the CD drive, use that to reinstall. You may need to install a new drive either way. A CD RW is fairly cheap now. Even the DVD & DVDRW are coming down in price. Be sure your system can handle the new drive.

Bob B-)

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them! [medal]

Sorry! I forgot to tell you to also remove the drive from Device Manager. Right click on the drive & click on Uninstall. Then reboot, plug cables & restart.

Bob B-)

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them! [medal]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back