Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help: GeForce4 with red dot/dash on screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheerful

Programmer
Mar 4, 2003
US
PNY nVidia GeForce4 card, XP SP2, latest nVidia driver.

In browser, both IE and Firefox, or image viewer ACDSee, when scrolling by line in either direction, there will be red short dashed line on the screen, accumulating more and more. If scroll by page, there is no such line appear. I tried in MS word and did not see the dashed lines.

Any idea on how to get rid of it?

Thanks!

It can be a driver as well as a hardwage bug. Go see in the Nvidia driver release notes if there was any cleared issue associated with your problem. You may have to fill a customer feedback form to Nvidia, telling more about the system, so that they can go in their database and see if anything like this was seen in the past.

If you minimize the window and bring it bake to the desktop, are the lines still there?

Since how long has it been doing this? Recently? Since you have your system?

The lines will dispear if I do a page-up/down, or min-max the windows. It was not a problem some times back, only recently. I tried to reverted the driver a few version back but did not help. Not sure if I have to go futher.

If it just started my advice go to the nvidia site and get the newest driver. Completely uninstall your drivers from your card and reinstall the new ones. See if that helps.

Tried to uninstall and reinstall many times. Not working.

My 13 y-o son dumped water on his mouse last weekend. Symptoms were that the mouse worked if moved up and down, but not at all if moved sideways. Moving the mouse up and down also caused a 1-2 pixel wide grey line to be drawn on the LCD screen, but moving the mouse over a previously grey lined area cause the display to become normal again. I opened the mouse and dried it but that did not correct the problem even after rebooting the PC. We replaced the mouse and corrected the problem. I still don't know why simply moving the mouse would draw a line on the screen???

Have you checked if slowing down the CPU, the AGP or the memory timings made any difference?

It looks like the border line of some timings has been exceeded. It maybe the mobo, maybe the card.

Is your card old enough to ask for a replacement?

I think it is a Ti4200 with 128MB, 8x AGP. I don't play much game so a replacement is not needed. And this is simple application -- IE. I can try to tweak the bios. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

First check for any BIOS parameter that concerns the AGP, that you can play with. It differs between BIOS brands, and between mobos.

I've tweaked the BIOS in every way and changed my mouse as well. Nothing works. :(

Is there any diag tool? Thanks!

Not sure about a diag tool for such a problem. The operation that fails is called raster-ops, you may use this keyword for a search but I doubt you will find one.

Have you verified if it happens at different resolutions or screen depths? This changes many driver and timing parameters, so it may make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back