Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help for MERCATOR mapping tools users 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Apr 14, 2000
US
Visit site
I am new to MERCATOR mapping tool. Where can I get more tips on MERCATOR related problems? Is there any good book for a beginner?<br>

I've used Mercator for a couple of years now and the resources I've used include:
(1) the original documentation for Map Editor, Type Editor, etc. that came with the software.
(2) Mercator training courses.
(3) Mercator support as well as consultant companies that specialize in EDI (RTCI, for example).
(4) More recently, the mymercator.com web site which has several example maps submitted by other users\clients.

I know this is a pretty short list when it comes to resources but that's really all I've come up with in my dealings with Mercator. I lot of it has just been trial and many errors.

[sig][/sig]

Does anyone have recommendations utilizing the Mercator Event Server product? It will be utilized in a distributed environment?

Suggest you try the mymercator.com site. Lots of questions posted there

Hi,
I've been using Mercator for about a month now. I'm having problems with a fairly complicated component rule which basically concatenates two adjacent records together if they contain 2 identical fields (of 3), the sum of the third fields being mapped. For example:

Product name Product Description Quantity
Eggs Dairy Produce 100
Onions Vegetables 50
Onions Vegetables 80
Potatoes Vegetables 25
Eggs Dairy Produce 40

Would give this output:

Product name Product Description Quantity
Eggs Dairy Produce 100
Onions Vegetables 130
Potatoes Vegetables 25
Eggs Dairy Produce 40

The 2 'eggs' records should not be consolidated since they are not adjacent. The rule I have been advised should work is this:

Name Field:$=Name Field:$[LAST] & Description Field:$=Description Field:$[LAST] & Quantity Field:$=Quantity Field:$[LAST]

Which should consolidate a record with the preceeding one if the name field and descriptoin field are the same. However, it doesn't work at present. Apparently the type tree structure is very importnat for this rule to work, which is:

Root
File Data
|
Record (1:s)
|
Header Record
Detail Record (1:s) - rule here
|
relevant fields...

so the rule concerns data fields within a series group, within a series group. I understand what this rule is trying to achieve, and I have been advised that this rule has worked in the past, but I don't understand how exactly it is meant to work - it seems to me this is merely a qualifying rule, stating that the data must be equal to that in the preceeding record. However, if this was the case,I would expect Mercator would throw up an error, which it doesn't. Can anyone a) understand what I am talking about
b) explain any of this to me
c) suggest any other way of simply concatenating two records when certain criteria are met
d) offer any other advice/help
e) point me towards the asylum.

If anyone can help me in any way I would greatly appreciate it, this is driving me nuts!

Cheers, Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back