Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help fixing append query

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazminecat

Programmer
Jun 2, 2003
US
I am leaning up the tables in a db, and need to add the fk from one table to 299 records in another table. I'm working with a copy until i get it right.

Currently the year is hardcoded into each of the 299 records. i created a year table with YearID and Year, and added a field to the Copy of my BidsTable to hold the Year ID. I'm trying to append tblYear.YearID to CopyofBidsTable.YearID where tblYear.Year = CopyofBidsTable.Year

Once that's done I can create the relationship, delete the CopyofBidsTable.Year and be one step closer to normalised without evil lookup fields. here's what I have:

INSERT INTO CopyofBidsTable ( YearID )
SELECT tblYear.YearID
FROM tblYear INNER JOIN CopyofBidsTable ON tblYear.Year = CopyofBidsTable.Year
WHERE ((([CopyofBidsTable]![Year])=[tblYear]![Year]));

but it doesn't add the info to the CopyofBidsTable.

Any thoughts?

thanks guys.

You wanted this ?
UPDATE CopyofBidsTable AS C INNER JOIN tblYear AS Y ON C.Year = Y.Year
SET C.YearID = Y.YearID

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Well, that got the data in there, but it also created a whole bunch of extra records. no worries, easy enough to delete, just want to understand why. thank you again for your help! That finished up a nasty little chore for me right quick!

How an UPDATE query may CREATE a whole bunch of extra records ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back