Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help File? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelRed

Programmer
Dec 22, 1999
US
Has anyone ever actually done a help file for a program?  I would really like to see an example of a help file, with the appropiate connection information for a form and control(s).

Yes, but your post covers a lot of ground!!<br><br>Do you have any specific problems / questions?

&nbsp;&nbsp;Depending on the type of appliction. I simply used the explorer to open up a browser to display an HTML Version. If you want a true Microsoft type Help File it is much more involved. You need to D/L a helpfile compiler. I have used Easyhelp in the past and it seems to work as well as any. Unless someone knows of a better utility.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;John Stephens

When I wrote my help file for my application, I used HTML Help. That sped the process up a lot. I used FrontPage to develop my help file in the WYSIWYG environment. The HTML Help compiler is the program to glue your html files together.

I've created a help file using Visual Help Pro 4.0...<br><br>I first tried to link it to an app that was developed in vb3...when that didn't work, I saved the vb3 project in vb6 and tried again....still no luck....<br><br>so, i just started a new vb6 project (just a command button on a form) and tried to call one of my help topics from there....still no luck...<br><br>anybody have any suggestions?&nbsp;&nbsp;ever worked with vh pro...<br><br>someone has used easy help for their help file....did you have any problems calling it from your vb app?<br><br>thanks for any ideas&nbsp;&nbsp;;-)

I've put together several help files for Access DBs before using Word and a free (and very good) assisting macro package called (I think) Helpy.&nbsp;&nbsp;Took a half a day or so to get the hang of it, but I was very impressed with the results.&nbsp;&nbsp;Word + Helpy would put together a suitable RTF file for the Help Compiler.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then it was just a matter of putting the help filename & context IDs in forms and controls...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back