Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help fight management!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddyjohn

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2003
US
We have a single DS3 (45mb) running on 3620's on each end. We are adding another T1 for backup in case the DS3 fails. I have asked for us to upgrade to two 3700's on each end. We recieved a bandwidth report that says we are using 1% of our DS3. I want to up our usage but i do not think the 3620's will handle all the traffic.
How do we get the difference between the two routers and thier throughput?
I will be routing all our Internet traffic accross the T1 and Data to our Co-Location accross the DS3.

Hold on! This could Hurt! I ain't certified by Microsoft!

Thanks

3620's can easily handle a single DS3 connection and your T1. If you want a quick and dirty look at what the utilization is of your router "links" then look at the interface txload and rxload. This is the the load of the link measured between 1 - 255 with 255 being total utilization of the link. If you want a more detailed view, there are software tools that can use SNMP to look at this information and put it into a graph or pie chart for you. You can download solarwinds engineering edition for a 30 day trial and see how it works.
"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

I concur with IPKONFIG, your existing equipment should more than handa the DS3 you currently have + some.

If you want a nice, simple "FREE" SNMP graphing utility, try STG SNMP Traffic Grapher.
Look here for the download:
Have fun, it irritates crabby people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back