Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Exchange Server 2000 Too Full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiapexman

Technical User
Sep 12, 2003
US
I accidentally restored a pst file that was approx 2GB into a Exchange server mail box. I then moved all the mail msgs and attachments off of the exchange server onto the local machine (via outlook browser) but I didn't gain my space back on the server. What Happened? And how do I restore the 2GB of free space on the server?

Thanks FAM. I reduced the 2+GB database back down to 10MB.

Do you know what the log files are for in the c:\exchsrver\mdbdata\ folder? If I could get rid of them it would give me another gig of space.

(I dont think this is the recommended practice)
I had a similar problem a year ago where i had a 1GB log file which i was sick of as it was causing nothing but trouble as it took up 1/5th of on my C: drive, so i stopped all the exchange services, and copied the log file onto another PC, then deleted the orignial from the c:\exchsrver\mdbdata\ directory, i then went into all my exchange logging options (in Connections) and made sure the majority where set for medium/minimum logging.
Then restarted the services and now a year later my log files have never been over 6MB!

Hope this helps.

FAM

I just recently had a similar problem but what happened to me was that I reached my maximum 16GB information store. Since I didn't have enough disk space to do a exutil defrag on the server, I had to do an off line defrag ... then cleaned up the mailboxes by running the exchange mailbox manager and the go back and do another defraf .. my 16GB went down to 2GB . WOW ... was my boss and I happy campers .. U Bet!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back