Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Exchange Keeps crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

firecomp

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2004
US
My exchange server keeps crashing I cant figure it out!

I had the same thing happen the other day. One by one endusers lose their outlook. When they try to reopen outlook they get an error message stating outlook could not find the global adress list! So I went around and looked at a few users in tools->Addrees ->Address Book -> global adresslist-> Properties in outlook and found some users had "server 1" and some users had "server 2". Server 1 has exchange2000 "Server 2" use to have exchange server until we move it to server1 and completly removed it form "server 2".

A simple restart of "server 2" ended up fixing my problem but my outlook clients are still grabing the GC from two different servers and I think I have a few dns issues that need resolved before this happens again.

I found
In dns ->Foward Look Up Zones->Domain.com->GC(global Catalog)->Sites-> Your Site -TCP should you have 2 pionters if you have 2 windows 2000 AD domain controllers?
I only have one "server2"

Any help would be great or good links,
Thanks

Update!

I check, server2 is the only gc server.So I was thinking if server1 had the gc also(gc being the global catalog) too that this would resolve my issue. Does anyone know how? Does this sound right?

I still don't understand why some clients pick the global address list from server1 and others from server2 if server2 is the only gc server.

Did you verify that you removed the old exchange server from active directory properly?

Go into the exchange system manager to see if its still in there..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back