Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help: Exception cannot be handled error

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrin

Technical User
Feb 6, 2006
CA
Hi there,

I'm developing an application in .NET, but it seems that every app that I design/compile on my system, won't work on any others. Here is a quote from somebody else describing the error (I do not get any errors myself):

"yeah it gave me an error, exception which could not be handled. Gave me some numbers but the numbers changed when I tried it again. Also expected a JIT debugger which was not present."

Does anybody know what would generate errors such as this?

Used Borland Delphi 2005 Architectual version 9.0.1767.24408, I have Windows XP Pro build 2600 sp2. Heres some .NET info from a version checker.

Installed .NET Runtime(s)
Current version:1.1.4322.573 Version 1.1 RTM (Visual Studio.NET 2003 / Windows Server 2003) Feb 2003 *
2.0.50727.42 Version 2.0 RTM (Visual Studio.NET 2005 RTM / SQL Server 2005 RTM) Nov 2005
ADO Database Runtime Version: 2.81.1128.0

Here's a small app you can download to see the error.

Thanks,
Pat

Hmmm, I've had a couple of problems with programs not working on other systems but it's usually because its an older version of windows.

It seems that either delphi does not pick up on the error, or it corrects the error without prompting you. Have you tried running the program from the exe file (as opposed to the run command in delphi)?

Other than that you would need to know what the exception is before you can go about sorting it out! Do you use any procedures that are likely to return exceptions (common ones I find are file access and conversion errors, are you maybe using absolute filenames?). Also do you access things on your system that might not be on other people's systems. Maybe directly accessing the sound or graphics card? (I'm not sure if thats even possible but hey!!!)

Do you have the project file and source code? I can try running the program through delphi on my machine and see what the exception is.

I hope that all made sense and that it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back