Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help doesn't function 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPT

Technical User
Aug 17, 2001
US
Hi All,
I just loaded CR 8.5 Developers Ed. and Help doesn't work. First I did a complete installation, help wasn't functioning. Then I went into setup and installed the Help files seperately. Still no go. Tried to uninstall help and the system hangs when I try to select Help in HTML format to uninstall. Anyone experience anything like this or have a solution.
TIA
Ed

there are two kind of help, html help works only with Netscape, so get the compiled help file that comes in the CD as you install

I had the same problem, and found a document on the support pages that fixed it. It just needed a single number change in the registry. I don't have the knowledgebase document number, but here is what it said:

“HELP” won’t run

Be sure it was installed completely to ‘run from local hard drive’. Then if it still won’t run, do the following:

1. Start the Registry Editor. On the 'Start' menu, click 'Run'. Type 'Regedit' and click 'OK'.

2. Expand the registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | SEAGATE SOFTWARE | CRYSTAL REPORTS | HELP

3. Look at the values for the 'En' and 'Format' key.

If the value for 'En' is "C:\Program Files\Seagate Software\Crystal Reports\Help\En\", then set the value for 'Format' to "0x00000002 (2)".

If the value for 'En' is C:\Program Files\Seagate Software\Crystal Reports\Help\En\HTML\, then set the value for 'Format' to "0x00000003 (3)".

Nocrystalwiz,

Thanks for your response. After much head scratching, uninstalling/installing..... I had installed CR 8.5 Dev. over CR 8.5 Prof. CR 8.5 Prof. had loaded the HTML (for Netscape Navigator), why is anybody's guess! Later did an uninstall but found CR left remnants, one of which was Help HTML. Clobbered the whole Seagate folder and did a custom install excluding HTML and Help worked fine. Great way to spend a couple hours.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back