Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help DNs Problem win 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzotech

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2003
US
I've installed win 2000 server we have 10 clients we have a cable modem that connected directly to the server we use the server as gateway to share the internet every day we're loosing the internet connection after we reboot the system the internet go back to normal my question is this:
How can I set up that up so that I don't loose the internet connection all the time?

thanks

Just out of curiosity, where does DNS fit into this picture? Also, are any of the ten client computers accessible to the external net? If so, how are you handling routing (what software)?

When the problem is occuring I would check your for an Ip from your ISP, in this case your cable provider. Remember that you are leasing an Ip from them (unless you are paying for static).

"cable modem that connected directly to the server"

Never a good idea. Buy yourself a router (linksys and dlinks are cheap and better than nothing). Let the router be the gateway and i'd say most of your problems will go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back