Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Disk space problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdolson

MIS
Dec 9, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a Windows NT server 4.0 with 2 partitions, 1GB C(Fat)boot and 5GB D (NTFS)data partitions. When I open Windows Explorer and look at the status bar for my C partition, it shows that I have 150MB of free disk space left. When I selected all files and folders in the C partition and go to their properties, it shows that 560MB used and I still have over 400MB of free space. I've done defrag and cleaned up all cache files but still there is a big discrepancy between the 2 indicators. Can anyone shed some light on this matter? Many thanks

See the hidden files also. I think Pagefile is taking that space.

PSingh

I have Show Hidden files selected and moved my pagefile to my D partition. thnx

I would go with what the properties say when you right click on C.

Yes Kjonnnn, that is what I'm going with but I was wondering if anyone can help me locate where the other disk space taken up are coming from? thnx

Why aren't you using NTFS? Converting to NTFS should free up some space. From a command prompt type - "convert c: /fs:ntfs" and on your next reboot it will convert the file system.

Why would get additional space by converting to NTFS? Have you used the disk administrator utility in the admin tools?
I just check an NT4 workstation with fat. Using a detail view in my computer it shows 1.86GB total and 150MB free. Showing all files on C: I check properties and its 1.34GB used. I think you lose some space when the operating system is install by default. I checked disk administrator and I have 7% free.
I would go by what showing in disk administrator and explorer. If its 150MB free then thats what it is. Good Luck.

Thanks everyone for your advices, I've also gone in and cleaned up some old log files under Winnt\System32\LogFiles to get back some additional space. The reason we setup this server with FAT for the C partition so that we get get to it easier if it happens to go down. I got back about 200MB of free disk space so I'm breathing a little easier now.

Have a good day,
Dave

I have no idea why you are getting two different indications of free space. I've seen that happen a few times in the past, but I can't remember what was the cause or the solution.

One area that a lot of people don't know about is the Recycler folder on NT drives. The Recycle Bin uses this folder to store information about deleted files and folders, however, emptying the Recycle Bin does not delete the information here.

If you open the Recycler folder, you will see several subfolders named after the SID's of users on the system.
Open each of these subfolders and you will see the files and folders that these people have deleted. You can delete these entries.

If the properties of these folders still show a high usage of disk space after you delete files, go to the command prompt and change to these folders. Do a "dir /AH" to see all hidden files and subfolders. You can then use the ATTRIB and DEL commands to do some further cleanup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back