Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Desk Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLETCH87

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2003
US
I am looking for help desk software for a small organization. Track It Enterprise is the software I am considering. Has anyone had any experience with the software you would like to share? Does it function just like the demo? Do you have any alternatives?

Thanks in advance :)
[PC3]

Hey Fletch,

we use the Track-It Standard version.

I'm still new to it, but it doesn't seem particularly confidence-inspiring: I'm having problems with the auditing module in particular.

BF

BF

Thanks for the feedback and sorry to hear about your audit module issues. I have not seen the server audit work but the individual disk audit worked like a charm in the demo V6.0. Are you using the Receive module? We are looking at that feature to avoid manual ticket entry.

Fletch87

I'm also looking for something that I can use as a helpdesk with some sort of audit utility built-in for machines on my LAN. I'm kind of having a hard time finding any applications that do that. It's either Track It or Asset Manager made by Anyone else found an app that will handle this?

Guys

I know I'm a little late jumping in here but thought I'd let you know that I've developed a piece of software that analyses systems, produces a report and that report can then be linked to a seperate database I developed.

It chucks out such stuff as:

Softwrae installed
HDD volume ID
HDD Label
MAC addresses

and so on . . .

I would be more than happy to let you guys have a copy on one simple proviso:

You help me develop it by letting me know any issues you come accross.

Also, I would be keen to help develop a helpdesk utility. But this may take time.

Let me know your thoughts - please contact me through my website if you would like to take this any further.

----------------------------
Cogito Ergo Sum [jester2]
----------------------------

Did you ever find any help desk software? I am looking for some too. I have also considered Track IT and have been using the trial version of Alloy Software's Network Inventory Navigator. The only thing I don't like is that it will not pull the cd-key and licensing info from a 2000 or XP machine. That is one of the main things I would like to get when I run an audit. I don't want to have to manually enter it like they say you have to. If anyone has found something that you might think I could use, please let me know. Something cheap and possibly that would run on Linux would be ok too.

Travis McGuire
CCNA, Network+, A+

Travis,

I have not found another alternative yet. I have a demo of the enterprise version we are beginning to test with. One thing to note - the standard edition does not support attachments with help desk requests (limitation with Access db). Since screen shots are essential for us, the enterprise version is required.

Fletch87
[PC2]

By the way,

The Standard version of Track-It doesn't support SLAs.

BF

I use a product called Emco Network Inventory that gives very complete reports about everything on any computer on your network. They have trial downloads that you can try.

Here is their website:

Do any of the products you guys mentioned have the ability to create a trouble shooting database of previous issues and resolutions?

Thanks

Trackit 6 has been upgraded to 6.5. Some minor improvements is the inclusion of Audit Plus and the death of Access as the db (non-Ent. versions).

I have used TI6.x for over a year and it has not been an easy conquest. Auditing is ok, but got hung up on hyperthreading enabled pcs. Reports are quirky at times, often unreliable. The Monitor module is a doozy if you DON'T run exchange.

If you have ALOT of time to build and tweak your Help Desk / Asset database, then get TrackIT 6.x.

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

I have been using the track it std ed for about six months now and we are considering upgrading to pro. Which should allow the users to send the email to the help desk and generate a wo based on the email received. I have had very little problems with the std version but have run into its limitations and that is the reason for the upgrade to pro.

I guess the biggest problem I have come across is the reporting management wanted to see who was calling and how often and what for but there was not a canned report that had. I just customized the view and then exported it to excel made a couple of small changes to the header and footer and it looks like the report came from cyrstal reports which they should give you with the std. They do however with the pro.

Hope this helps.

Your Al Meyers Kid..You Look Pretty Stupid To me.

Has anyone tried AMO(Assest Managment Option) form CA?
Thats gives inventories of any PC's servers etc etc in a any domain and it uses SQL server(better than access)

Muralisai25,

Track IT Enterprise uses SQL server. I decided to purchase V6.5 which includes Receive (turns email into work orders), AD synch, Audit, and Self Service. So far, I am very pleased with the product.

Fletch87
[turkey]

I have recently been using "Mouse Tracks 2003" from it is working out very well for what I need.

-P

^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
~Paul~
TechMonkey

I have only just found this thread. I use a helpdesk sofwatre called sitehelpdesk (google it and you will find). This tracks SLA, hardware inventory, ip management, FAQ's and backups/restores. It is very good for the price what you pay. i think it was about £800.00 for 8 users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back