Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Design NAS Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

trbyrne

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2007
US
I am in the process of reviewing and redesigning our entire backup schema (hardware, software, etc) and I'm looking for some help on designing the new system. I have 5 servers and about a dozen laptops/desktops to backup. We currently backup about 20GB of data every night to a network share and then copy this data to a removable hard drive. We currently use BackupExec 10.0 (I really do not like it) and are getting quotes on BackupExec 12.5 as well as CommVault Simpana 8.

Does anyone have any hardware recommendations (NAS, SAN, etc) or any recommendations in general?

Thank you in advance for sharing your expertise.

3 important questions :
What is the retention policy for your data ?
What is your budget ?
What is the expected yearly growth of your data ?

rgds,

R.

NetApp Certified NCDA/NCIE-SAN

A few questions:

What is the total amount of backup storage needed?
Is this 20GB of actual changed data each night?
Do you have any specific requirements such as MS-SQL, MS-Exchange, etc?

You might want to have a look at one of the Thecus NAS devices that have module support. There is backup software that can be installed on these NAS devices as an embedded system so the backup server runs on the NAS device itself.

Lee Mason
Optimal Projects Ltd

I use retrospect .. it's an awful product .. but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back