Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help creating local package

Status
Not open for further replies.

nayfeh

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
CA
Hi There,

I need some help creating a DTS package in SQL Server 7.
I have a .dbf file that I'd like to copy from one server to the SQL server. I would like this package to run on a weekly basis. I'm not sure how to do this. If you need any further information, please let me know and I can provide it.
Thanks in advance.

TN

To do this, u can create a DTS package which exports your data from the dbf file to the SQL Server.Once you have created a DS package save it.
Now you can write a VB application which will execute your DTS package.
The VB application can be scheduled to your time.
I have done this, if you are interested then I can actually send more details.
Seema

Hi

Right click on the sql server database in Enterprise Manager>Import data> choose the correct provider for the .dbf file to use for the connection> select the source server and location etc of the .dbf file> fill in the details of the destination server(your sql server)> choose "copy tables and views" option> then you have an option to save the dts package and then you can schedule it then and there.

A sql job will be created that will execute at the time you sepcify. You can even set the job to notify you once it has completed by using netsend or email(if sqlmail is configured).

I would rather use the automated sql job than to write a vb app to schedule this for you. It is quicker, simpler and easier to manage. When you don't want to import it anymore you can either delete it or simply disable it.

Hope this helps

John

Great thanks.

Also, what I need to include in this package is DROPPING and then ADDING a table. Since this file needs to be uploaded on a weekly basis with new information. Is the syntax for dropping the table: DROP TABLE [Database Name].dbo.[Table Name].

Is this method (drop then add) advisable?

Thanks,
TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back