Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP, configuring the 28115 from T1 cisco routor

Status
Not open for further replies.

servergms

Technical User
Apr 11, 2002
US
Hi, I have a T1 connection with a cisco 2620 routor which I am trying to put the 28115 between the routor and my servers. within the configuration console in hyperterminal I have the options for ip, gateway address and subnet mask.. which ones do i put in? Do i put in the ip and info from the isp server? or do i put in anip that i own? Also any further tips on configuring to help me set up this switch for internet access is greatly appreciated.
thanks

best regards

servergms

The router Prolly has an external Address (the ISP's address), and an internal Address (the LANs address) you want the Routers address in the gateway address, an IP address in the same subnet for the 28115, and prolly a class C subnet mask.

I traditionally make my router .1 so if you subnet is 192.168.1.0 then the Router is 192.168.1.1 the mask is 255.255.255.0 and the 28115's IP address may be 192.168.1.5.

I use .1 to .4 as routers and bridges, .5 to .10 as switches, and .11 to .250 as user devices, .251 to .254 I use as temporaries. You can make your own scheme, but I suggest you make every subnet the same. (my PC techs were SHOCKED to discover other networks has gateways other than .1)
I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back