Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP - Click Action to open a Word Merged document

Status
Not open for further replies.

proflola

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2000
US
Hello,

Here's the scenario. Our company has developed a web-based application. The user clicks on a record in a list to review the record details. We want to have a printable copy appear at the click of a button. The data underlying the printable report is stored in multiple tables within a SQL ODBC database.

We need a quick fix by Friday. I've developed an MS Word merge document to handle the data. I am also skilled in MS Access and Crystal Reports design. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Have any ideas on how to handle this quickly?
2. What is the code to open an MS WORD Merge document object upon a button click.
3. If I used MS Access or Crystal Reports how would I open just the report with a click of the button?

Again, I have a tight time constraint. Any suggestions are welcome!

--Sandy

There's several ways to approach this and it all depends on certain things that you haven't mentioned.

If you can guarantee that all the client machines have Word installed:
1) If it is a browser based application you should be able to just push the Word document at their browser and it will automagically open it.
2) Push the binary content of the Word document to the client application. Save it as a temporary document and open it using COM.

If the client may not have Word then you'll need to open the document on the server. Save it as HTML and push the HTML to the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back