Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help can't change video file pathnames!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Please Help!

I need to relativly link my video files to be found on a cd-rom and when I try and rename the filepath in the video cast member properties box - it defaults back to my D drive file path and won't let me save it as any other path. I have tried to re-import the video as standard and linked but it still won't let me change the path name.

Jackie Morrisett

If you have imported your elements as "standard import", Director looks, by default, at the same relative location it was stored on the hard drive. This means that if you have a directory structure of convenience while creating the project, you must maintain that structure on the Final distribution.....
If your dir files are stored in something like -

D:\clientA\mydirproject\mydirectorfile.dir

then the final projector will, by default, look down the directory tree on the CD to find any associated files.

CDDRIVELETTER:\clientA\mydirproject\movies\mymovie.mpg

The answer?
1. If it is not too confusing (too many associated movie files), I keep them all in the root directory with the dir files.
2. Right before distribution, I copy only (and all) files required by the projector to a "top level" directory (i.e. - D:\distribution)
3. Burn the master on the CD with NO sub-directories (all files are located in the root directory of the CD) or at the very most, the exe file in the root and the video files one directory under it.

The "proper" distribution convention is to have the exact same relative addresses to all external files on the CD as you do on your hard drive...

Bottom line?
Make the "dir" working directory a top-level directory and keep the same relative path to your movies on the CD as on your hard drive.

Don't worry about the drive letter, that will not matter when you burn the CD....also, remember any xtras you used must be on the CD in a directory called xtras, located one under the root director of the CD.

Hope this helps,

Crispy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back