Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help calling stored proc on linked server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddiamond

Programmer
Apr 22, 2005
US
I have a linked server pointing to DB2 on AS400. I am trying to call a stored proc on the AS400 from SQL Server 2008. I first tried:
Code:
select * from openquery ( ADM_AS400_LPAR, 'CALL XGGNDTAADM.EFILE_GET_QUICK_SEARCH (''C007984A'')')
I get the error message: The OLE DB provider "IBMDA400" for linked server "ADM_AS400_LPAR" indicates that either the object has no columns or the current user does not have permissions on that object.

It is definately not a permissions issue.

I then tried the 4 part syntax.
Code:
EXEC ADM_AS400_LPAR.EMJ_TST.XGGNDTAADM.EFILE_GET_QUICK_SEARCH 'C007984A'
Error message: OLE DB provider "IBMDA400" for linked server "ADM_AS400_LPAR" returned message "SQL0104: Token { was not valid... A syntax error was detected at token {.

I ran a trace on the AS400 to see exactly what the linked server passed to it. It passed the following:
Code:
{?=call "EMJ_TST"."XGGNDTAADM"."EFILE_GET_QUICK_SEARCH";1(?)}
Well, that is certainly not valid DB2 syntax, but I have no idea why the linked server generated that syntax. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't know about calling a stored proc on the AS400, but this is what we use to Select data from the AS400.
Code:
select * INTO <tblename> from openquery(<servername>, 'select * from <schema>.<table>')

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Thanks Bill. Select statements with openquery have always worked fine. But I'm now trying to see if I can call stored procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back