Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Building a Translator

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyClaire

Technical User
Dec 10, 2002
US
Ok, this is in detailw hat I am trying to do. I am trying to build a language translator to tanslate back and forth between English and Elvish. I have an Elvish dictionary already. I would like to know the best way to build it. An example of what I am trying to build can be found at This page was done in CGI script, but I have no idea how to do CGI, Perl, PHP or ASP. I am willing to learn though and I learn quickly. I was wondering if there is a way I can make a simple text file of the dictionary, then write some code up where once the word and or phrase is put in the text box, the program will searh the text file and give out the translation to that word? I have tried this in JavaScript but it will take forever and a day since I have to type out each word, its translation as well as phrases and their translations. THankyou for any help offered.

What format do you have the dictionary in?

You will have to do some typing but I would import the data into a database and use asp to search and pull back the translation.

Cheech [Peace][Pipe]
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

I have it in both .txt and .doc format. Is there any way you can tell me how to start on how to use ASP?

do you have mx? search the database for a string match return all records.

if not you will need to do some asp tutorials on the net in basic asp

Cheech [Peace][Pipe]
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

How sophisticated is ..... Elvish? Do you have to conjugate verbs or make other dynamic changes or is there a one-to-one correlation with English? I assume this is Tolkien's Elvish?

If it is a simple one to one correlation then you can set this up in a very basic database. Buy MX, run through the tutorial on pulling dynamic data, and in a couple of hours you'll have it up and running. Translations between "real" languages are highly complex. It takes thousands of programming hours to do it properly. Peace
BT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back