Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help break password 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsalas

Technical User
Jan 15, 2007
US
My kids created a password on their PC (HP Pavillion, Win XP). Now they can not remember the password.
We can use the PC as a guest, but can not add software or do some maintenance.
Is there a way to break the password?
I really need to add some software and want to upgrade the OS.

This from a google search. they may have something that will help. MS has a program package called Winternals but the price is real high. If you get in don't let the kids login as admins then they can't create passwords they won't remeber.
Wayne

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

Another way that you may be able to get in is if you use safe mode. Press F8 just before windows starts to load & choose safe mode from the list. When Windows has loaded you should have the welcome screen or similar. With any luck, the kids where not logging in with the main administrator account. Anyway, choose the account called Administrator. you may be lucky enough that it has a blank password, most OEM machines do. You can then reset the passwords on any accounts on the machine.
Hope that makes sense.

Quote: Want to upgrade the O/S
Just clean install with upgraded O/S.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Download the package knoppix-std. It is a bootable CD with a number of security programs included.

Boot with the cd,
mkdir /junk
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /junk
cd /junk/winnt/system32/config
chntpw sam
Basicly you make a directory (junk), then you mount the directory for the Hard Drive (hda1). This is assuming the drive is the first partition on the primary master and it is an IDE type drive.

The command chntpw sam and the * removes all the passwords on the system.

You can shutdown and remove the CD. When you boot the next time, it will ask you for a new password.

Good Luck

Unlesss, of course, the hard drive itself has password protection. This is virtually not defeatable (or at least I've always heard so) and usually requires forensic tools to reset. This is an extra layer of security to protect against laptop thieves.

OldTechGuy, thanks so much for the syntax to delete passwords. Have a star. I will start another thread in the Linux forum to see how to get Knoppix to see my RAID array...guess it would just mean slipstreaming ICH7 drivers.

I NEVER forget passwords (I write them on a sticky note and attach to my monitor LOL...not) but am getting older by the minute...may need your trick in the future.

I have used kestrel1's solution as recently as last week...and whenever I set up a PC/laptop for a friend I always use the same admin password to keep the kids from futzing it up. This way I can always get in and they can't change it...unless they read this thread!

Tony

Thanks everyone.
Will try them all and see what happens.
I may just replace the HD, if all else fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back