Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help! black screen when taking screenshot on Windows 7 64 bit Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoldos

Technical User
Nov 5, 2008
US
Ever since upgrading to Windows 7 64 bit Pro, I've noticed that I can't take screenshots of games I'm playing. I get a blank, black screen, whether I use Prtscrn and Paint, or one of various screenshot programs I've tried.

What is going on? Does this have a fix? I'd like to use a screenshot program so while gaming I can just tap a key.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Why don't you try the full version free trial of this software if nothing else is working?

"Screen Capture software prints anything you see on your display"

Any Capture Screen Utility

These are some notes I have on "hardware acceleration", it is something you can look at if you like.

For IE9, the workaround is to turn off hardware acceleration in IE's Internet Option page. Go to the Advanced tab and check the first option: Accelerated graphics, Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering.

Use the Vista instructions in this article (if you can). Not all Video Cards have this setting available. For example my Nvideo Card doesn't.

How to change the graphics hardware acceleration setting in Windows

See if your Nvidia Card will allow you to try the Acceleration and Rendering settings mentioned in this article.

Certain kinds of video content do not play after you apply a windowless skin such as the Revert skin to Windows Media Player

Windows7 (and Vista) have a built in tool for screenshots called the "Snipping Tool".

You can assign a "hot key" and if you have "One Note" you can save it straight there.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I prefer, for gaming, the use of MSI Afterburner:

not only am I allowed to do screenshots, but I can also do a video of the gaming, and it controls the fans on the GFX-card as well as to allow me to OC them...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Hmmm....it does appear that hardware acceleration is causing the problem after some more research. But won't disabling hardware acceleration make games not run as well? That's the reason I bought a newer video card and I certainly don't want to disable a key feature..

You can only try it and see if there is any performance or quality loss. My reading of it is that you are not actually disabling a feature so much as changing it from hardware (or whatever GPU is) controlled to software controlled.

I've decided not to mess with it. But it is strange that I can take screenshots both in EVE On-line and on any game that uses Steam, so I don't know why I can't with other programs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back