Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! BIOS problem? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenaciousjd

Programmer
Oct 13, 2003
US
I changed the BIOS setting to AGP and now my monitor and keyboard dont work at all. The monitor and keyboard are not communicating with the CPU. What can I do to change the BIOS back to PCI? It all started when I was having problems with my internet explorer and several other programs. So then i did i system recovery but my screen went black and said PCI setting? (I had recently installed a new video card) so I went to the BIOS and changed the setting from PCI to AGP. Now nothing else works but the computer turns on and it seems to be running. Can anyone help me? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

You could try reseting the BIOS. This can either be done by using a jumper (if you have the motherboards manual) or by removing the CMOS battery for about thirty seconds. This will set the BIOS back to the factory defaults. You will need to enter the BIOS to set the time & any other settings that you require, but I wouldn't set it back to AGP if you have problems with that setting.
Good luck.

As a good general practice, when you go to reset the bios always disconnect all power from the motherboard - there should be no power getting to the mobo from any source whatsoever.

Sorry I forgot to mention what ShadowWalker11 has pointed out, but it is always good prictice to disconnect any mains power leads before working inside of a PC & also to always use an Anti-stat write strap or mat that is correctly earthed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back