Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!!!!Backup individual files

Status
Not open for further replies.

skfm

Technical User
May 2, 2003
MY
Hi, recently I have been trying to backup individula files with veritas. However instaed of backing up this files it ends up backing up the folders minus the files.
I am not sure what i have done wrong probably its the configuration,but i have tested numerous ways. It still ends up the same.
For example,
I wanted to backup \\server name\F:\MSSQL\xxxxdata.mdf. It ends up backing up MSSQL folder but not the file.
Is veritas limited to only backup by folders only.

Anyway I am using Backupexec 9.0. Couldsomeone try to help me shed some light here.

Thanks

Lawrence

BE will not back up .mdf and .ldf files while they are in use. You will have to halt your database to copy these to tape. And then you will have hell restoring them. This is not the way to backup your DB.

You have 2 options.

1. Purchase the SQL Agent from Veritas. This will allow BE to backup the database while it is still active.

2. Schedule a Maintenance Plan in SQL that does a backup. Then copy these backup files to tape with BE. This also will not interfere with your DB. I'm doing this to 6 instances of SQL currently.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Thanks LawnBoy, I read this somewhere about BE not being able to restore SQL. I guess I will have to do a different way of backingup this database.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back