Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Automatically Updating Linked tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

proflola

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2000
US
Hi All you Smart Folks!

I have an Access 2003 database that is tracking Claims. It's based on linked tables that reside in another database. How can I automatically update the linked tables without having to manually do so in Linked Table Manager?

Thanks for any assistance you can render...

--Sandy

I find that in the databases that I use with the same parameters, I do not have to update the linked tables unless the structure of the table changes. If records in the tables change, are added, or are deleted, those changes show automatically.

Is this your experience? Are you having issues with structure changes not showing or data changes not showing?

Cheryl dc Kern

Sandy,

cdck is right. But do you mean your backend is moving or you want to work with one set of data for a while and then change?

If so, please explain.

Snippet untested

Code:
    With db.TableDefs
    Set cTables = New Collection
    For Each tdf In db.TableDefs
        If Len(tdf.Connect) And Not tdf.Name Like "MSys*" Then
            db.TableDefs(CStr(vName)).RefreshLink
        End If
    Next tdf

replace CStr(vName) with tdf.Name in code above

I made a collection in one spot in my code so I could remove the links - hard to do without a baseline set of table names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back