Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help after recovery of service

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanh1

MIS
Mar 23, 2004
GB
Guys,

Im looking for some help on an issue, Im pretty clear in my mind what needs to be done im looking for someone else just to let me know that its ok - point me in the direction of any useful resources etc.

Let me start from the beginning. One of our exchange servers crashed. We have 2 storage groups with 5 mailbox stores each. I wasnt here when this happens and the guys tried a eseutil /p to bring the servers back on line. This bought 4 of the mailbox stores back on line the other 6 were still down. I then had to come in to try and recover. We restored the whole of the second storage group into the production environment including the transaction logs. After checking the DB and log headers we discovered that there are 8 trans logs missing therefor we could not ring the server back up to date and in the interests of service we bought the storage group online creating new databases, with a days worth of email missing. Now as a seperate issue we need to recover that data.

We have a DR server that we are about to restore the backup to now that we have the log files that were missing. am i right in sayingm,

In the seperate forest we restore the storage group.
Making sure the exchange install ahs the same DN as the live?

Then use kill mail to disconnect the mailboxes. Export a list of users from Production AD and use mailcon to re-connect those to their mailboxes.

using exmerge export the missing data to the pst files.

Copy the pst to the production environment and then use exmerge to bring them back in?

any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back