Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Access 2000 opens as Read-Only despite obvious solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevets

Technical User
Jul 23, 2001
US
I have an Access 2000 application that I developed. I recently put a prototype onto a shared network drive for a group of users to test/give their feedback. The app is split into front end/back end.
The problem is that one of the users out of a group of three or four can only open in read-only mode. When this happens, there are no other users in the database, so it doesn't appear to be another user locking it. Also she is the only one of the group having this issue. These users are in a different office, so I am unable to actually look at this person's PC myself to look at the settings and configurations. I just tried troubleshooting with her over the phone... we tried the obvious things such as the default open mode. We looked via the Tools, Options, then the various tabs in that dialog box. I have the feeling I am missing something simple and obvious.
Any suggestions?

One minor twist which I don't think should matter; this user has both a PC and a Mac. She is using the PC to open this database, but she tells me that they have her set up so both machines share the same monitor, mouse and keyboard. The latter two being Mac equipment. I don't know if this could have any bearing on the problem.

I admit I had posted this before in the recent past. However, I never got any replies,and am still having the same problem. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Has this user full rights on the shared db's directory ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Version of Access this one user has? (Verify it from machine to machine from the Help>About dialog to be safe.) Anything other than 2000 or what every other user has will cause this behavior.

Jim Schuuz
{ F1 = my.friend
}

Yes. All of the users have the same permissions. Also there was nobody else in the database at the time, so it doesn't appear to be another user locking it.

I know I'm missing something simple, but I seem to have exhausted the obvious answers.
Oh, how easy it would be if I could just go and see the user's PC for myself...

All are on Access 2000 SR-1 Professional.

'Yes. All of the users have the same permissions.'
Meaning... the permissions on the folder are on the AD group(assuming you use AD).

Does this person actually is a member of this group ?, hasn't the password been expired after they logged on this morning...

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
- Robert Frost 1874-1963

We don't use AD, so that doesn't apply here.
Good thought, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back