Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help a newb out! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanschu

Programmer
Nov 22, 2006
CA
Hi everyone,

I am using CVS as a part of my work, and an odd thing happened.

At one point a part of the code broke, and at the time I was still new to CVS and essentially just wanted to checkout the project from CVS in a different spot, to compare a few files that I had edited to see where it broke. Though when I first did this, I realized I was inside one of the directories so I quickly went CTRL-C to cancel it.

Fast forward to now, where I want to tag a branch, and it thinks that the folder that I had accidentally checked out should still be there (I deleted it after cancelling the checkout a while ago). Basically it's looking for a folder called 'aiscript' which is the root folder of the project, but I'm already 3 folders deep!

As a result, I get:

cvs [tag aborted]: could not chdir to aiscript: No such file or directory

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the system is set up to run Fedora Core 4 Linux, if that is any help.

Thanks in advance.

Allan

If you don't have any modifications in your working directory I would recommend just releasing it and checking out the module again.

If you do have modifications you should checkout another working directory to another location (not a subdirectory of your current working directory of course :p). and then copy in your modifications to that working directory.

Also typically I use the cvs rtag command when creating tags/branches which interacts directly with the repository and not your working directory.

Thanks for that driven. That's ultimately what I ended up doing.

I have always done branches by going:

cvs tag -b branchname
cvs update -r branchname

How exactly does the CVS rtag work?

Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back